The Global Change Institute's Living Building is a flagship sustainability project that shifts the way we think about office design in a changing world.
A pilot for innovative sustainable solutions, it is a living example of how buildings can consume fewer resources and contribute more to the regeneration of environment and society. GCI has been awarded the Green Building Council of Australia’s 6 Star Green Star rating and ranked 34th in the world’s 50 most impressive environmentally friendly university buildings.
GCI generates more energy than it consumes. The building is naturally ventilated, captures its own power through solar panels and stores up to 60,000 litres of rainwater.
Made possible by a generous $15 million donation from UQ alumnus and philanthropist Graeme Wood, the $32 million structure was designed to meet the Living Building Challenge and Green Star global guidelines.
We are currently explanding our Google map listing with a comprehensive tour of each floor of GCI, including the basement.
The Global Change Institute building has won multiple awards for its innovation in sustainability. The accolades include:
- 2016 WSP|Parsons Brinckerhoff Award for Best Sustainable Development – New Building
- 2016 Queensland Rider Levett Bucknall Development of the Year
- 2015 David Oppenheim Award for Sustainable Architecture
- 2015 National Award for Interior Architecture – Australian Institute of Architects
- 2015 QLD State Awards. G.H.M Addison Award for Interior Architecture
- 2015 QLD State Awards. Harry Marks Award for Sustainable Architecture
- 2015 QLD State Awards. R.G Suter Award for Educational Architecture
- 2015 Commendation for Interior Architecture – Institute of Architects Brisbane Regional Awards
- 2015 Commendation for Educational Architecture – Institute of Architects, Brisbane Regional Awards
- 2014 World Architecture News Sustainability Awards – Winner – Public Building and Urban Design
- 2014 Australian Steel Institute QLD & NT Awards – Winner for Steel Excellence in Buildings - Large Projects (awarded to HASSELL, Bligh Tanner, McNab, BridgeFab, CMC Steel Distribution, JBD Goup, A&I Coatings)
- 2014 BPN Sustainability Awards – Public Building & Urban Design Finalist
- 2014 BPN Sustainability Awards – Innovation of the Year Finalist
- 2013 BPN Sustainability Awards – Winner – Best of the Best (product award for Suspended Geopolymer Concrete Floor Panels) (awarded to Bligh Tanner, Wagners and HASSELL)
- 2013 BPN Sustainability Awards – Winner - Innovation of the Year (product award for Suspended Geopolymer Concrete Floor Panels) (awarded to Bligh Tanner, Wagners and HASSELL)
- 2013 Queensland Lighting Design Award of Commendation (awarded to Medland Metropolis)
- 2013 IES Lighting Design Award of Commendation for our fit for purpose, highly efficient LED lighting solution